Product and Service Insight
Buchanan Ingersoll's Franchise and Distribution Group provides a comprehensive range of services to franchisor and distribution clients. Our attorneys bring practical, solution-oriented advice and counsel to bear on clients' problems. We have provided legal representation to companies in more than 40 different industries. Our clients include world and regional leaders in many industries, including major food chains, retailers, real estate agents, car rental agencies, educational and training franchisors and hotels.
Comprehensive Franchising Services
Our attorneys assist clients with all phases of the franchising process, ranging from franchise formation to resolution of disputes between the franchisor and the franchisee. This depth of experience is particularly important because franchising is one of the most highly regulated areas of business law, with regulations that vary by nation, province and state. We can assist franchisors to:
- Navigate the maze of complex and varying local requirements efficiently and effectively;
- Draft the key documents in the franchisor and franchisee relationship — the Uniform Franchise Offering Circular and the franchise agreement to be both enforceable and commercially reasonable; and
- Deal with disputes and other relationship issues, whether inside and outside of the courtroom.
By combining innovative thinking with a solid foundation in the law, Buchanan Ingersoll brings an added dimension to the franchisor representation process, both across the United States and around the world. And our attorneys have developed alternative methods to expand a potential franchisor's business when the franchise model does not meet the business need.
We can assist our clients in:
- Developing, operating and expanding franchise systems;
- Complying with franchise laws and regulations;
- Acquiring and divesting franchise systems;
- Defending enforcement actions by federal and state franchise regulatory authorities;
- Enforcing of franchisor quality standards, reporting obligations, restrictive covenants, and trade secrets;
- Protecting and licensing trademarks, service marks, and trade secrets; and
- Planning and implementing distribution strategies and marketing and distribution agreements.
Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution
One franchise industry reality is that franchisors, and particularly large franchisors, are increasingly the target of costly, recurring litigation. Another franchise industry reality is that the franchise relationship is a marriage in which divorce is often the last resort. Because these conflicting realities present a significant challenge faced by our franchisor clients, our Franchise and Distribution Group lawyers have developed effective strategies to preserve the franchise relationship as the primary goal and then, when necessary, to prosecute and defend our franchisor clients' interests to the fullest extent.
The Franchise and Distribution Group's approach to franchise litigation is to have our experienced attorneys guide and direct the prosecution and defense of all franchise litigation matters being handled by the firm. Utilizing the firm's regional offices as litigation platforms, the Franchise and Distribution Group strives to achieve the requisite degree of litigation efficiency, issue and result security, and consistency that our clients have come to expect and demand from our attorneys and the firm. With this approach, our Group has earned the opportunity to represent major franchisors in litigation throughout the United States.
For more information, please go to www.bipc.com.